Your browser doesn't support JavaScript or you have disabled JavaScript.

Health & Welfare Bulletin No.30 : Defra CPH numbers & vaccine updates

The following statement has been put up on the DEFRA web site regarding County Parish Holding (CPH) numbers for Camelid keepers:

Currently camelids (llamas, alpacas, guanacos and vicunas) are not currently regulated in terms of registration and movement.
Whether you keep one animal as a pet or a commercial herd you need to be registered. Before moving animals to your holding you need to apply to the appropriate organisation shown below for a County Parish Holding (CPH) number for the land where the livestock will be kept.
Rural Payments Agency (in England and Wales)
Rural Inspectorate (Wales)(contact your local Welsh Assembly Government Divisional Office)
Rural Payments and Inspections Directorate (RPID) (Scotland)

The recommendation for 2011 from Animal Health is talk to your vet regarding vaccinating for Bluetongue this year. It is not being encouraged or discouraged by AH.

Are your animals up to date with their regular vaccinations?

A number of you relocate your animals to their summer grazing at this time of year. Check for worms before you move them. Either worm them or send samples to your vet for analysis. There is no point in taking worms to new pastures when it is so easy to prevent.

A very big thank you to all of you who took part in the worm survey sent out by Jacqueline Lusat. Hopefully an article will be written up for the Llama Link.

From time to time, BLS will be sending out surveys when we are approached by the animal authorities, i.e. DEFRA, AH, VLA and veterinary students. It is most helpful if these are completed and returned and I thank all who do respond. It is the only way we are going to learn more about our beautiful animals.

LIZ BUTLER - Vice Chairman BLS & Health & Welfare Representative